It’s apparently been around for a few years, but I only discovered Frank Montag’s online guitar designer today. I had to share this though as the online guitar designer is great fun. Essentially, you get to design your own Les Paul or SG style guitar. The Les Paul shape is the SC option in the online guitar editor. The SG shape is the SG option. Makes sense.
Using the editor you get to select wood types, fretboard materials, inlay types/designs/layouts, hardware types/colours and a whole lot more. You can even add effects like graphics or aging to your guitar design. Take a look at the image below and I’ll explain the options I chose.
- Black finish (aged on the body and the headstock)
- White binding (on the body and the headstock)
- All black hardware (including strap locks)
- Wrap-around bridge
- Aged black finish humbucker pickups
- Ebony fretboard with white inlays that alternate position on the board at the 12th fret
I would love to have a guitar with this design, feature list and finish. It may just be the perfect guitar for me. Have a go for yourself. There are so many more options than the ones I’ve highlighted in my article and on the guitar I designed. You may just find the inspiration to have that custom guitar made for you one day.